Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Social Media Savvy for Political Activists

Everyone has their favorite social media outlet and everyone has their own learning curve. Becoming social media savvy is essential for effective political activism. So, are you willing to step out of your comfort zone (your favorite social media outlet) and learn about other ways to share your political messages to a wider audience?

For years, my favorite site was Facebook. I joined to connect with family and friends and share updates. Then, I started naturally sharing political posts of interest to me and quickly found that many of my family and friends did not share my political values. For some it became a sticking point in our relationship.

Later, I got started on Twitter. I felt such freedom over there as most family and friends weren't on Twitter and I could really share things important to me without fear of offending them. I gradually learned my way around Twitter and then was able to help others find their way. Soon, I connected with some amazing Liberals whom I've grown to love and admire.

With the page and group features on Facebook, I was able to connect and share information with thousands more like-minded people. I have now set up my own Facebook page, Liberal Ledger and a group by the same name. I've also liked many liberal pages and joined many liberal groups.

How does one become savvy with social media? No one is born knowing how; so it's no shame  to not know. Don't be afraid to admit that you don't know. Seek out people who do know and who are willing to teach you. Don't forget to Google  your questions! That's how I've leaned to do things. They even have wiki's that teach you how. If you don't know what a wiki is then use your Google machine.

Here's an old article from Forbes to get you motivated:  http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/15/social-media-social-activism-facebook-twitter-leadership-citizenship-burson.html

Try to remember this: If someone else can learn to do it, then you can too! Then, just think of the impact that we together can have on the next "Most Important Election of our Lifetime."

Oh, and if you're on Twitter, look me up @bannerite I'll be glad to help you if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment