Saturday, June 20, 2015

#StandingUp to Bigotry

When confronted by someone's bigotry, have you ever lectured/moralized, gotten sarcastic, tuned out, questioned, changed the subject, walked away, etc? These responses usually end up in a lose-lose outcome. We can and must do better.

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has produced a booklet suggesting effective ways for us to respond to bigotry. You can access it here:  http://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/downloads/publication/splcspeak_up_handbook_0.pdf

This booklet covers: WHAT CAN I DO AMONG FAMILY? WHAT CAN I DO AMONG FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS? WHAT CAN I DO AT WORK? WHAT CAN I DO AT SCHOOL? WHAT CAN I DO IN PUBLIC?

A section towards the end covers six steps for Speaking Up to Everyday Bigotry:
Be Ready
Set Limits
Find an ally/be an ally
Identify the Behavior
Be Vigilant
Appeal to Principles

Will you take the pledge to Speak up?

THE SPEAK UP! PLEDGE Commit to respond to everyday bias and bigotry. Sign and place this pledge card in your wallet, book bag or desk drawer, or post it on your wall. Also use these pledge cards as a part of a campaign in your workplace or school, making as many photocopies as you need. Post the pledge in public places, encouraging others to join. Because what we say matters. I PLEDGE TO SPEAK UP! In pledging to respond to everyday bigotry, I will:  Speak up when I hear or see bigotry;  Question and identify bias when I see it;  Be mindful of my own behaviors;  Promote and appeal to higher principles;  Set limits on what is said or done around me;  Seek help and help others to work against bigotry; and  Remain vigilant and persistent.

Together, we can erase the stain that has infected our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment