Wednesday, November 12, 2014

How to Think for Yourself

Do you practice critical thinking? Do you question the messages you are receiving from television and other forms of media? I have noticed lately that many people seem to blindly accept some "authority" or talking head's viewpoint.  When I ask them if they've read anything on the subject, they don't have an answer.
Case in point:  Twitter friend said that the Trans-Pacific Free Trade Agreement (TPP) was a bad deal. When I asked if the person had studied about it, this was their response, "Just a little bit during past election-terrible for environment + I thought GREEN Energy and LESS corporate greed was Dems agenda?" 
Now, that tells me that this person didn't read up on it at all; but, is merely repeating talking points they heard from some pundit. This is not critical thinking. I am not saying that all pundits are trying to mislead. (Although most are trying to boost their ratings.)

What I am saying is that we need a crash course in how to critically consume what the media is feeding us. The first tip that I use is to consider the agenda of the person trying to influence me. What is their bias? You can hear it if you listen carefully. My second tip is to gather as much information as you can on the subject. Read up on it yourself. Analyze the details. Look at pros and cons. Nothing is 100% pure or perfect. Thirdly, once you have done your own research and analysis, have courage to stand up for what you've deduced.

You can see why more people don't think for themselves now can't you? It is work. Thinking is a bit harder than just accepting someone else's ideas. But, it is worth it in the long run. The benefits include: trust in your own abilities, boosting your brain power, more awareness to the manipulations of the media and others, and you just might help others to expand their brain power and thinking skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment