Monday, January 26, 2015

Why We Need Unions

I've been a supporter of unions and a union member most of my life. I believe in them and know they are good for workers and good for America. I was thrilled last week when our President said in the State of the Union address that we need laws that strengthen unions. http://peoplesworld.org/call-for-stronger-labor-law-first-for-obama-on-national-television/

I once had a conversation with a CEO about teacher's wages. He asked what I thought and I told him! I reminded him I had over 20 years in education and a Master's degree yet my husband, a machine repairman at Caterpillar always made more money than I did. The Ceo's response was that his higher wage was because of the UAW. You see, they wouldn't have paid him more unless they HAD to!

When states weaken laws that protect workers, they set up companies to be able to reduce workers' incomes and benefits. How can that possibly be good for the economy? It might be good for corporate profits, but in the end, they are "killing the goose that laid the golden egg."

If you believe our President is right about strengthening unions, then please let your elected officials at state and Federal levels know you support unions and laws that protect them.

Pat Taylor Fuller is an Editor for Progressive Democrats - Moving Forward, Not Back, and she has a blogspot named Pat's Commentary
http://pageposts1123.blogspot.com/

Find us on Twitter at @PDMFNB and see our Hashtag there: #PDMFNB.

No comments:

Post a Comment